Saturday, February 02, 2013

January Cookies

January cookies...in a February post. They were actually baked in January, but I haven't had time to post until now. Last year I decided to copy Katie's 'a cake a month' idea. It (almost) worked out. Since I baked my December cake, I have been contemplating what to do this year. Continue the cakes or do something else 'a month'? After much consideration, I've decided to keep on copying Katie:-) After her year of cakes, she continued with a year of cookies - so that's my plan for 2013. A new month, a new cookie.

As those of you who have followed my year of cakes may know, I have a tendency to overestimate my abilities in the baking department. What can I say? It happened again. For the January cookie I opted for macarons. The beautiful French meringue-cookies which look like this...



 
 
 
And here's my attempt....
 

 
 
Not exactly the same. Oh well. One thing positive about the top image is the sunshine coming through the window. It has been a long, dark, and cold January here in Copenhagen.
 
But back to the macarons. As you can see the chocolate and the pistachio macarons are not at all the same size. And they don't actually look like macarons. They don't have a smooth surface. On the contrary. But I have decided this is going to be my signature touch:-) Furthermore, I've tried to convince myself that by posting pictures of imperfect cakes I'm causing my fellow women much less stress than the perfect images from pinterest. There really is no need to cry over imperfect cookies as long as they taste good. Right? I'm trying to grow here!
 
If you'd like to try, here's the recipes:
 
Chocolate macarons
3 egg whites
55 g sugar
160 g powder sugar
25 g cocoa
120 g ground almonds
2 table spoons of cocoa
0,6 dl cream
150 g chopped dark chocolate 
 
Whisk egg whites and add sugar. Whisk until mixed. Sieve powder sugar, cocoa and almonds and add to the egg whites. Fold together. Put the mix into a pastry bag and on a baking sheet covered with baking paper create circles (4 cm diameter). 'Knock' the baking sheet on the table (according to the recipe this will remove air bubbles) Sprinkle the macarons with the extra cocoa. Leave them for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool. Bring the cream to the boil and remove it from the heat. Add the chopped chocolate and mix until the chocolate has melted completely. Put it in the refrigerator for app. 20 minutes, then use it to 'glue' the meringues together in pairs.
 
Pistachio macarons
45 g unsalted roasted pistacchios
3 egg whites
55 g sugar
green fruit colour
200 g powder sugar
90 g ground almonds
0,6 dl cream
150 g chopped white chocolate
 
Blend pistacchios. Whisk egg whites and add sugar and drops of fruit colour. Whisk until mixed. Sieve powder sugar, almonds and the pistacchios and add to the egg whites. Fold together. Put the mix into a pastry bag and on a baking sheet covered with baking paper create circles (4 cm diameter). 'Knock' the baking sheet on the table. Leave them for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool. Bring the cream to the boil and remove it from the heat. Add the chopped chocolate and mix until the chocolate has melted completely. Put it in the refrigerator for app. 20 minutes, then use it to 'glue' the meringues together in pairs.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Carina

    I think your macarons look lovely and I´m sure they tasted well too.
    I love macarons but I´ve always thought they were so difficult to make. I may give it a try now. Thank you for the recipe:)
    Great idea, the one of a different cookie each month. Warm hug, Manuela

    ReplyDelete